Friday, April 13, 2007

Muslims funny?

Lying on a sun-bed by the pool last week, listening to cheesy 90s pop, sipping mint tea, pretending to read Isiah Berlin’s Two Concepts of Liberty but really chuckling at the guy on the other side of the pool stacking it, wondering why God invented Speedos and why it seems only the French wear them, I mused at the four things to me that cut across barriers: good music, good food, laughter and pain. Ok I suppose that statement is debatable. For example music- because what I enjoy won’t necessarily be enjoyed by the next person (something perfectly exemplified by our house). Food, only to a certain extent is that true, cos believe me whilst that snail soup being served in the souq had a huge queue, it did not look appetizing to me one bit. And I suppose there are way more things that transcend barriers other than the four I mention- beauty etc. But hey the sun and all morning spent shopping in the medina makes you tired.

The same thought came to me on Tuesday night as I was watching Shazia Mirza at the Comedy Camp. Shazia Mirza is a comedienne and MAN is she funny. It wasn’t even out of the five what particularly she actually said was the funniest, but it was more the way she said it. I think it was also because what she said was different that ensured she got the most laughs of the night. And afterwards when I overheard a dude say “she really made me see Muslims in a different way”, it just further enhanced my belief that comedy is the way forward.

In the past we have seen comedy make people much more comfortable with people from the gay and lesbian community, the Jewish community, the black community etc. Now is it surely not long overdue that the same is done by the Muslim community? Yet I know of like 3 Muslim comedians. Admittedly I don’t go out of my way looking for them, but if they’re any good I shouldn’t have to.

To sum up, (I’m starting 2 feel like JD in scrubs- the funniest programme EVER- with the need to sum up every post like he does with every episode) I’m saying you funny Muslims get yourselves out there. Comedians have a unique ability to dispel fear and tension, by making groups seem more accessible and human. Remember, God made you funny for a reason! Use it!

No comments: