Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Global warming and others

Its interesting to see what those more read and influential than us here at Empowering Us have to say over the Global Warming Issue. Whether it be religious leaders, politicians, journalists, etc. As I (obviously) think it is a big issue that needs to be dealt with pretty urgently, what other people think about global warming often affects my view of them. Like any prat that drives round central London in a 4x4 automatically gains my wrath and WILL get a dirty look from me. The need? A friend was speaking to a colleague of his that lives in the rough terrained Chelsea and drives one. “Ever heard of global warming?” he asked him. “Oh yes, but this thing is marvellous - you can’t feel it at all!” referring to his monster. Blooming pompous twat. Of course I don’t blindly discriminate as some people have genuine reason for them. Well actually I do because apart from 3, everyone I know that drives one its blatantly a status thing.

Last week reading the Observer I came across Nick Cohen whose article I was pleasantly surprised by. He wrote of the danger of extremists undermining their own cause: as by the “eco-extremists” picking on Al Gore for his private electricity bills they are diverting attention away from the real cause. He states it’s the last thing we need - eco-extremists “trumping Gore’s inconvenient truth with a convenient excuse for doing nothing”. This article makes me like Nick Cohen as I have yet to form my own opinion on him. (I will read something about him or that he’s written and I’m like what a fool, but then on some domestic issues I generally agree with him e.g his stance on ID cards, grammar schools.) On the other hand there are people whose stance on the environment makes me dislike them even more. Jeremy Clarkson famously doesn’t give a monkeys, which definitely makes me dislike him even more. If you’re wondering he’s just too over the top and whilst when Hammond or James May do something it’s funny, when Clarkson does its normally pathetically sad/lame. Also sometimes I feel he just promotes or goes on about something just for the sake of it, although I did think he was funny on Have I Got News for You a couple of weeks ago. Then we come to Melanie Phillip’s views as below. I frequently read her stuff although why I bother is a mystery to me. Her views on global warming are positively bizarre, especially coming from someone who has no doubt never studied the subject, let alone devoted years of her life, like global warming scientist researchers have. Strange strange lady. (No, I ain’t picking on these people but when someone is so off on one issue, it kind of makes you question their other beliefs, no?)

Lastly, the religious leaders and their responses make for interesting reading. The Church of England last week released The Ten Green Commandments entitled “How many light bulbs does it take to change a Christian?” (Every time I read that I chuckle, but then I tend to find godawful jokes like that funny). Many of my friends have told me of their local rabbis talking of the need to take urgent steps. But the Muslim leaders, the imams? Well my local imam could be talking about climate change and what we could do, but they don’t allow women in, and don’t speak in English so not like I’d know. Now I know criticising the mosques is Funzie’s special area, but the Church of England taking steps has got to have shamed them in to doing something? Somehow I doubt it.

Let’s not end there. Let’s end on this instead:
“According to a survey in this week’s Time magazine, 85% of Americans think global warming is happening. The other 15% work for the White House.”


(Like i said, i like godawful jokes)

No comments: