Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I Woke Up...

Having recovered from the Global Unity Event that a friend dragged me to over the weekend, and I say 'dragged me to' as I'm not the biggest of fans when it comes to events such as these & i'll come to why later, it gives me a good platform to introduce myself to this new blog a few friends and I have put together.

You see, for most of my very short, bland life, I have been blind, ignorant, pacified even of what is happening in the world around me. The invasion of innocent people's lands, the wars, the oppression, the poverty, the famine, (the list is endless actually) was something I pushed to the back of my mind, my life if ever I even thought about it.


I'm embarassed to say, I got on with life happily ignoring other people's plight, other people's oppression, other people's injustice. It was when I watched 'Dispatches: The Killing Zone' (can be purchased here:)that it really hit me. I was confused with the mixed emotions I felt: anger, rage, pain, heartache, helpless to name a few.

I 'checked' myself & looked deep into my heart, I questioned the reason of my existence. Why was I placed on this earth if I was going to let injustice, oppression, illegal occupations such as the one in Palestine continue? What was I going to do to intervene on behalf of those that cannot defend themselves? Now I didn't know the answers to any of these pressing questions, but I knew that something inside me was beginning to stir and I could not shift this feeling away. I was itching for some answers, some solutions - I was sick, and I mean literally, of watching these scenes unfold before my eyes on a daily basis. I wanted solutions, I wanted to be effective, I did not want to be held accountable on the Great Day for letting these crimes go on. I set off on my quest for some answers.....(To be continued in my next post, keep tuned in for some more & why I'm not the biggest of fans when it comes to Muslim events.....)

No comments: