Monday, November 20, 2006

Wasting Time...

Do you ever feel like after doing something, you’ve just wasted part of your life? After going in for a lecture on Thursday where half the class was missing, and even the goddam lecturer didn’t have the courtesy to turn up, I felt that. Watching Saw III made feel that. (Its honestly shite- don’t bother.) Reading every single one of the thirteen books from the Series of Unfortunate Events did too.
But they were my choice. I didn’t have to go see the film, especially when I didn’t particularly like the first two. I should have known that Lemony Snicket would have written a crap ending. And it was a pretty good bet people would be missing on Thursday, when we had our essays due in on the next day. So I can live with that- twas my fault. What really gets me though is when you trust the reputation of something and then it lets you down. The Observer, good newspaper you’d think? I love it and when I read an article in another newspaper that it was becoming sensationalist, I defended it. That’s why it annoys me so much when I find myself questioning that.
Yesterday I read an article about Asghar Bukhari and David Irving and I am at a loss to explain the exact point of it was. Not only did the article not flow, it also bloomin contradicted itself. Shoddy writing in a damn NEWSPAPER gets me. On the one hand it accuses Bukhari of being anti-semitic, but then makes clear that neither he or MPAC is. What?! To me that just seems like sensation for the sake of sensation. By the way anyone else curious to know how the hell a journo in the UK got hold of a letter sent to Irving SIX years ago and then traced it back to Bukhari? More to the point, why? And then I remember (don’t ask I have a head for names)- and I apologise if I’m wrong- but ain’t this the dude that smeared SOAS’s Islamic Awareness Week as anti-semitic? A coincidence...I think not.
On the other side of this debacle, we have Asghar Bukhari and MPAC. To learn their side of the story I take a quick flick onto the MPAC website (don’t you love google!). At this point I got distracted (I was told in school I had the attention span of a six year old, and I must say I agree). But, they did their rebuttal on PODCAST. That amazes me- Muslims moving into the 21st Century… And I must admit Bukhari’s points did make sense. So for them is there an upside to this article? I suppose by someone attempting to smear Bukhari/MPAC as anti-semitic, it puts them in the pack with Livingstone, MCB, Galloway, etc- a place they were no doubt aspiring to!!
Anyway, back to the beginning- I slightly digressed by getting into the article (something you’ll come to notice with more posts)- what annoyed me most was that it was something that happened SIX YEARS AGO. I don’t know, its just in my head news implies it’s new, and surely there are other items more worthy of that half a page. I felt I had wasted my life reading it. And that annoyed me so if you didn’t like reading this post- you can blame them.
So here’s a message to all those involved:

Makers of Saw III- wtf? Was it asking too much to tie up the damn loose ends, and make it slightly realistic?
Lemony Snicket- Ditto

The Observer- Get rid of the writer, nay editor, nay both and stop being so damn sensationalist. Your readers like you because you’re not supposed to be.
Asghar Bukhari- Before you give someone money, ask people if they deny the holocaust - it would save a lot of your time and as the observer would have to put in some real news, I wouldn’t get annoyed, so my time as well. Irving- actually, you’re just not worth it.

No comments: