Tuesday, June 12, 2007

March in June

Well I’m back again- for a while…..
Had exams, but unlike Abu Funza I can not prove that is what I was doing as, well, I’m pretty sure they don’t allow you to take photos in the exam room. I suppose I could have asked though.

Went last Saturday to the demonstration WA mentioned. There I was actually going to take pictures, but I have a real poor memory and left the two cameras on the kitchen table. You should probably be glad I did forget though when I have a camera I take pictures of anything that interests me. I tell you this because while my friend was buying some inspirational postcards in Trafalgar Square, I was watching the naked people cycle past. (It was legal and had something to do with highlighting climate change - I wasn’t just in a real dodgy part of London.) At one point whilst I was standing there with my mouth wide open, an old man, well over the age of 50, got off his bike and just stood there for a good couple of minutes, completely stark naked. I do believe I have been scarred for life. Had I remembered my camera, I would I have shared the image with you, my privileged readers.

The demonstration itself was probably one of the best I had been to- although that’s only because I actually got somewhere to sit, and the fact that at the end, a couple of people at the front started an impromptu Palestinian dance, and with a few minutes about 10 people had joined in, and another hundred had gathered round watching and taking photos. I think the original dancers were a little shocked.

On the serious side, I was struck how brave some of the people there were. I heard from famous Jewish actors/ actresses who risk there careers by coming out against Israel, because we all know how good the Zionist machine is. I listened to priests and ordinary people who had dedicated their lives to helping the Palestinian people, and trying to find a solution. Most inspiring however was an Israeli from Combatants for Peace - a truly impressive and amazing organisation set up by Israeli and Palestinian Individuals – whose courage and beliefs brings hope to the conflict.

So whilst I saw many Jewish and Christians there, I noticed, as usual, how little Muslims there were. By far the majority there were non-Muslims which kind of makes you wonder. Whilst the Muslims may complain in their houses, when there comes a legitimate way to express their grievances where are they?

Whilst I agree that it is unlikely the government will not be particularly affected by the demonstration, I don’t believe this is why the Muslims don’t turn up.

So is it laziness, ignorance, apathy? I find it hard to believe it is apathy, because I find it that is a general trend among Muslims, no matter how little politics they know, they will still know of the “Palestinian Brothers, Sisters and Mothers” they do so much for.

Whilst there were many Jews there, who I know may find it a little patronising me saying this but you have got to rate them as some risk social stigma, and for some, especially Israelis, it goes against everything they have been brought up with. The Muslims who have a religious obligation were nowhere to be found.

Somebody please explain to me….

No comments: